Wednesday, October 15, 2008

October 15

Today is the National Day of Remembrance for Pregnancy and Infant Loss.

I just wanted to pass this along and encourage anyone interested to join in prayer for these families who have lost little ones. This includes all babies who have died because of miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS, or any other infant death.

I've spent the morning lifting up friends and acquaintances that I know have experienced loss.

I also wanted to share this testimony and perspective and ask for united prayer on this issue as well:
(This is from the comments in this post at Life in a Shoe I know this is a sensitive topic, one that needs to be dealt with, mostly on our knees, asking God our Father to change hearts.)

Amber, on October 13th, 2008 at 10:29 am Said:

The very word “abortion” moves me, deep inside.

maryjo, you said no one has the right to choose for someone else.

Absolutely.

I know a lady who, when she was in her teens, committed sins, and ended up pregnant. She didn’t want the baby. But in the year she was pregnant, abortion was illegal. She tried to find a doctor who would commit an illegal abortion, but couldn’t. Then she tried pills, but couldn’t keep them down. Then she tried strenuous work, to make herself have a miscarriage.

Nothing worked. She gave birth to twins; two baby boys. The boys’ father didn’t want to keep them, and so their mother gave them to someone else to be raised.

Now those two little boys are grown men, and have children of their own - ten children, between the two of them.

Ten children, who would never even been conceived, if abortion had been legal. Ten children who have lives of their own, loves of their own - they are real, breathing people, not tissues.

The boys’ mother would have made a choice for those two babies in her womb. She would have chosen death. She would have chosen death for her 10 grandchildren.

God chose life.

I am one of those grandchildren.

If abortion would have been legal the year my Daddy was born, he would not be here today, and neither would I. …or my
siblings…or my cousins.

I’m sure that most murders are committed by people who are angry, or desperate, or otherwise in turmoil. They need someone to come along and gently take the gun out of their hand - to prevent injury to others, and consequences to themselves.


Then later she responds:

Amber, on October 13th, 2008 at 8:16 pm Said:

Thank you - I am thankful every time I get to speak a word for the unborn, using the testimony of our family.

Yes, amazingly, Dad grew up knowing his birth mother. His grandmother was the one who adopted him. His birth mother became a little bit like a sister - one who wasn’t around much.

We see Dad’s birth mother every so often, and I’m glad I know her. But she will never be Dad’s mother. She lost that chance. His real mother is the one who took him in - his grandmother.

I don’t say that spitefully. I mean it as a tribute to my great-grandmother. Her love changed what Dad’s life could have been.


What a testimony! I am thankful for this gal's boldness to share the testimony of her family for the Lord's glory. I'll surely be praying for this family and opportunities for their testimony to glorify God as well as those hurting who may have been driven to this decision out or ignorance or desperation.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Thank you. I can't say much else. My heart is too full.