Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My New Christmas Jello a.k.a. 1-2-3 Jell-O

At many homes, I think, some sort of a Jello salad is custom for holiday dinners. Ours is no different.

Growing up, my mom would always make a very interesting one with lemon jello, grated carrots, crushed pineapple, and mini marshmallows. I really can't quite take this one, but it just isn't Thanksgiving at my moms house without it, and pretty often it appears again for Christmas dinner. Good thing the Girlie loves it.

Now I'm not anti-Jello. I do love a sweet treat in my holiday dinners. There is a blueberry salad I just love that we make sometimes, but this year I discovered the recipe to my all time favorite Jello. 1-2-3 Jello! (It may actually be called Jell-O 1-2-3)

I remember it from when I was younger. I think there was a commercial for it, but I haven't seen anyone make it now in years. I guess some other people really miss it, too. While looking for the recipe, I found a petition to "Bring back Jello 1-2-3". Turns out it's pretty easy to make yourself. Here is a recipe I found.

You need:
3/4 cup boiling water
1 package Jello, any flavor (4 serving size)
1/2 cup cold water
Ice cubes
1/2 cup thawed Cool Whip (I think Dream Whip is what was called for in the original, but I used whip topping)

Directions:
*Pour boiling water into blender. Add Jello. Cover and blend at low speed until Jello is completely dissolved, about 30 seconds.
*Combine cold water and ice cubes to make 1 1/4 cups. Add to Jello and stir until ice is partially melted.
*Then add whipped topping; blend at high speed for 30 seconds to a minute.
*Pour into dessert glasses. Chill about 30 minutes. Dessert layers as it chills.

I've had more success with the 3 layers when I blend it a little longer. The first time I made it I ended up with 2-3 Jello. I really like the THREE layers better, and I think you will too. So, blend a little longer.

Maybe we can figure out some Father, Son, Holy Spirit analogy for it... Hmm. Trinity Jello. It could work.

No comments: