Tuesday, December 25, 2007

"'Twas the Night Before..."

Now, I know Jesus wasn't born on December 25th, but I was just thinking about the night before our Savior's birth.

Having two young kids, I remember the bit of excited nervousness the day before a baby is born. How I began to sense things were changing. The body starts really getting ready for birth, and signaling momma to prepare.

I imagine the feelings of urgency in finding a safe place to relax. Could Mary have been content with a stable for her birth? I wonder how much she knew about what to expect and if she was scared, being young and this being a first experience, (not to mention the obvious). I wonder, how was her labor?

When my son was born, my husband and I took the opportunity to worship the Lord. We sang and spoke praise to him during labor. It was incredible. Did she exalt the Father while making it through the difficult parts?

All this just makes me think about the wonder of having a baby, how we all (I think) have that "Oh, wow, IT'S A BABY!" experience. I bet she was amazed to see that little baby, and what wonder she must have had at Who her baby was.

I imagine her seeing her little baby and knowing he was just the most beautiful baby EVER. The word tells us in prophecy "he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, [there is] no beauty that we should desire him." Isaiah 53:2. In that sense he was just a newborn, red and wrinkly, but you know how a momma sees her baby.


Lord, will you teach me to approach you with awe and wonder this season, and even this year? Reveal Yourself to me. Amaze me with how beautiful You are. Renew a sense of evangelism. Teach me to burst with desire to share your Good News. Thank you, Lord for being our reason to celebrate!

No comments: