Friday, January 11, 2008

Five Painless Ways I Saved $100 Last Year

It' Frugal Friday at Biblical Womanhood, and I thought this looked like a fun challenge:

I've begun to really enjoy saving those extra dollars, and these are some easy ways we've learned to do just that!

1. Making my own bread (our most recent favorite).

2. Making our own laundry soap, and using half of what's called for when we went back to Arm & Hammer.

3. Shopping at consignment sales and thrift stores!

4. When buying new waiting for the sale at Target or Old Navy (Both places mark their stuff down sooo low if you wait).

5. Using coupons! (We got free Peter Pan peanut butter yesterday using a coupon for a dollar off when it was on sale for .77!)

And visiting Frugal Friday at Biblical Womanhood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you make your own laundry soap?

Kathryn said...

I got the recipe from Jenni. It's actually soap, rather than detergent. I had heard some of the common detergents you buy at the store have chemicals that can mess up your body chemistry... like hormone balance.

So, you choose a bar soap, something gentle and natural, grate it, melt it on the stove with a little water. when it's melted add 4-5 gallons of water, like a cup of borax and washing soda and "just keep stirring, just keep stirring, stirring, stirring..." (little Dori reference there) you have to keep stirring 'til it's cool or it will get all goopy-slimy. Then I just add a cup to the wash like normal, and I add a little vinegar sometimes for softener (not all the time it can be hard on the clothes if used too often).

I really like it, and our clothes get nice and clean. I had tried an inexpensive detergent once a few years ago, and you could really tell! It didn't get my clothes clean. This, however works well, and it's very inexpensive to make. Kinda fun, too. Maybe I'll whip up a batch this afternoon, if I can find my 5 gallon bucket.